For four years, my life in UP had been a routine one… well almost. I usually wake up at three in the morning just to continue reviewing for my exam and sometimes finishing the half-baked laboratory reports. Then by seven in the morning, I go to school, still groggy and sleep deprived.
Oh yes without a doubt, I have learned a few essential things during my four-year stay in UP. I learned the art of speed-reading (LOL), I learned the basics of photography, I learned how to use Adobe Photoshop and InDesign and most of all, I learned how to dance (don’t ask why).
But since after graduating from the university last April (sniff sniff), I have become more open to the idea of exploring different places. But even after graduation, I still continue to learn important things about life. Indeed learning is not limited to the four corners of the classroom.
These are some of the essential things I learned from traveling:
1) I learned how to be frugal. I admit that sometimes, I am an impulsive buyer. I sometimes do not value the money I’ve had and have the tendency to just splurge it to expensive food, taxi (also an expensive way to tour the city) and other unnecessary things. My Manila Trip last August 13-14 had taught me how to become a wise spender. Armed with only Php 1,500, I never thought that that seemingly small amount of money could bring me to different places which made my trip super sulit up to the last peso! I can’t wait to do this kind of trip again, but this time, maybe in some international destinations like Kuala Lumpur, Singapore and Bali, Indonesia!
2) I learned how to become more patient. I easily lose my patience most especially if I am bored, hungry and cranky. Just last April, our flight back to Davao got delayed for more than 9 hours. We were already at the airport at 4:30 AM and was expecting to leave Zamboanga by 6:30 AM. But because the aircraft had some serious problems on its landing gear (someone told me that the landing gear won’t retract minutes before it landed at Zamboanga International Airport… scary!). But I just realized that all of these happened for a reason. In traveling, you just have to expect the unexpected!
3) I learned how to enjoy every moment of my travels. I admit. Traveling can be sometimes stressful when things aren’t on the right track. But despite the stress, I still manage to smile and laugh about it. C’est le vie! Carpe diem!
4) I learned how to pack my things wisely. Bringing a lot of bags is a pain in the ass. The never-ending field works that I’ve had has helped me in packing my things properly. Mother Packer!
5) I learned how to appreciate Mother Nature. Yes, I may be a Biology major but I didn’t appreciate the beauty of Mother Nature until I started traveling. I just realized that our country has so much to offer, and I can’t afford to degrade its natural beauty!
And the last but not the least, 6) Along the road, I have met the most awesome people and have learned a lot from them. I have a big respect to all backpackers/travelers here and abroad. Good thing, they aren’t selfish of sharing some tips about traveling.
I know that in my future trips, I am pretty sure that I’m going to learn lot of things. I can’t wait!
How about you? What are the things that you’ve learned from traveling?